Black Bean Soup
I use all organic ingredients for health as well as flavor.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Prep Time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1 1/4 cup dried black beans
1 Tbsp. avocado oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
3 vine-ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
2 limes, freshly-squeezed
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. Redmond’s Sea Salt
dash white pepper
(or for extra kick 1/8-to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper)
2 cups filtered water
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1. Soak beans covered in 4 cups filtered water.
2. Next day, when ready to cook, drain and rinse beans, put in a pot,
cover with 3 cups filtered water, cover and place on burner
to boil, then immediately turn down heat to low and simmer
for 45 minutes. Don’t peek!
3. When cooked, drain and set aside.
4. Assemble and chop all the vegetables and set aside.
1. In large pot, pour in the avocado oil, turn on heat and put in the chopped
onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper. Sauté until onion is translucent.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes and the spices to the pot. Stir and heat for for
5 minutes. Then add the beans and stir til well mixed. Stir in the lime juice.
3. Ladle out 2 scoops and pour into a blender along with the cilantro leaves.
Blend one to two minutes. then pour back into the soup pot.
4. Allow the soup to boil and turn heat to low cooking for 20 minutes for flavors
5. Garnish with cilantro if desired and serve with a hearty dinner salad.
This soup is filling, surprisingly a little goes a long way.